Top＞The Toyama Memorial Museum
The Tōyama Memorial Museum, nestling quietly in the rural scenery, is housed in buildings originally constructed by the founder of Nikko Securities, Gen-ichi Tōyama (1890–1972), as a home for his mother, Mii (1866–1948). In recognition of the hardships she had overcome, Gen-ichi reconstructed the house in which he had been born, but which the family had been forced to leave while he was still young.
This traditional Japanese house, consisting of a gatehouse and three wings connected by corridors, was designed by Sōshichi Muro’oka and constructed over the course of two years and seven months, being completed in 1936.
After Mii’s death, it was mainly used by Gen-ichi to entertain guests, but in 1968 it was transferred to the Toyama Memorial Museum Foundation, to preserve the buildings and display Gen-ichi’s art collection to a wide audience. The museum opened in 1970, and in 2013 the Foundation was recognized as a Public Interest Foundation.
The East Wing is built in the style of a wealthy farmer’s home, with a thatched roof. This wing is a symbolic reconstruction of the house where Gen-ichi was born. A distinctive feature is the inclusion of some elements from the style of samurai homes.
The heart of the Central Wing is a large formal reception room, constructed in the traditional sho’in-zukuri style. The anteroom is used for traditional displays of dolls: girls’ dolls in March, and boys’ dolls in May.
The West Wing is built in sukiya-zukuri, which incorporates the designs of tea-room architecture. It is built around Mii’s living room, with two side rooms and a room for the Buddhist altar to her ancestors.
Mii’s living room
The museum building was completed in 1970 as a space to showcase Gen-ichi’s collections. It incorporates many ideas from the famous architect Kenji Imai in its decoration.
The core of the collections of the Toyama Memorial Museum was gathered by Tōyama Gen-ichi. There are Japanese and Oriental antiquities, and colorful textiles from around the world. 6 pieces held by the museum have been designated important cultural properties by the Japanese government.
Opening Hours 10:00a.m–4:30p.m（last admission 4:00pm） Closed Mondays (if a Monday is a national holiday, open on that day and closed on the following day), during exhibition changes, New Year holidays Admission Fee Adults: ¥700, students: ¥500yen, Children under 16: Free Access From Kawagoe Station (JR Saikyo Line, Tobu Tojo Line): Take a Tobu Bus for Okegawa Station From Okegawa Station (JR Takasaki Line): Take a Tobu Bus for Kawagoe Station In either case, get off at the Ushigayato bus stop. 15 minute walk to the Toyama Memorial Museum.